Saturday, March 27, 2010

Carrot Cake

Everyone knows that Easter isn't complete without some carrot cake!  This is my current go-to recipe but I'd love to know if you have a favorite, too.  As you know, I'm always trying new recipes!  I made these little treats a couple weeks ago but am sharing it with you now so that you can add it to your dessert menu for Easter :).  This can be made as a 9x13 cake or 12 cupcakes just by changing the baking time.

Now, I grated my carrots by hand using the small sized holes of my cheese grater because I like the fine texture but you can also buy your carrots pre-shredded or give it a whirl in your food processor.  Speaking of which, my mom bought me this HUGE 9 cup food processor that I have yet to use...any suggestions?

I love the spice flavor of carrot cake, the moistness and nutrition that carrots lend, and the creamy cream cheese frosting.  I had to leave out the nuts so my brother could eat them.  And, I don't dig pineapple chunks nor raisins in my carrot cake but if you're one that enjoys those, feel free to throw them in.  Yum!

Carrot Cake
Printer-Friendly Version





















Prep Time: 30 Min
Cook Time: 24 - 50 mins
Yields: 1-9x13 cake OR 12 cupcakes

Ingredients

For the Cake
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
  • 2 cups white sugar
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 3 cups grated carrots
  • 1 cup chopped pecans (optional)
For the Frosting
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
  • 4 cups confectioners' sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup chopped pecans (optional)
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x13 inch pan or prepare a muffin tin by placing liners in each.
  2. In a large bowl, beat together eggs, oil, white sugar and 2 teaspoons vanilla. Mix in flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Stir in carrots. Fold in pecans, if desired.
  3. Pour into prepared pan of your choice (9x13 cake pan or prepared muffin tin).
  4. For 9x13 Cake: Bake in the preheated oven for 40 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. For Cupcakes: Bake in preheated oven for 24 - 30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. 
  5. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.
  6. While cake is cooking, prepare frosting.  In a medium bowl, combine butter, cream cheese, confectioners' sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Beat until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Frost the cooled cake or cupcakes.  If desired, sprinkle with chopped pecans.
Source: Method modified from All Recipes

No comments: