First thing's first, congratulations Kesha G. for winning the prize pack. I've sent you an email with details on how to claim your prize. I hope you enjoy the goodness!
Now for this recipe. I loved grilled veggies but it never fails that when I send my husband out to grill em up, many of them end up as grill casualties when they slide down between the grates during transfer and/or flipping. With this recipe, I skewered the vegetables for him so that they'd stay intact. Good thing too because while the recipe said it served 4-6, I doubled it and it still only seemed to serve 4-6 which was a bummer considering I was trying to serve 10. I made changes to the below so that you can get sufficient quantities and not be disappointed with your yield. The flavor was wonderful so it was too bad we had to ration it...loved that caramelized flavor with the brightness of the lemon! You can use whatever veggies you have on hand. The farm had sent us zucchini and yellow squash so that's what I used. I would have loved to add eggplant if we had it. Yum!
One Year Ago: Chicken Fajita Lettuce Wraps
Two Years Ago: Foil-Baked Fish with Black Beans and Corn
Three Years Ago: Pineapple Teriyaki Chicken
Four Years Ago: Sausage, Pepper, Onion, and Green Pepper Fra Diavolo
Grilled Zucchini, Yellow Summer Squash and Red Onion with Lemon-Basil Vinaigrette
- 1 lb zucchini, sliced into 1/3-inch rounds
- 1 lb yellow summer squash, sliced into 1/3-inch rounds
- 1 red onion, sliced into 1/2-inch rounds
- 1/2 cup + 3 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Zest and juice from 1 lemon (preferably organic)
- 2 tsp spicy brown mustard
- 6-8 large basil leaves, chopped
- Heat grill to medium and prepare skewers by soaking in water per the instructions on your package.
- Carefully thread the onion rounds onto prepared skewers, taking care to ensure the skewer goes through every onion ring. If desired, thread the remaining vegetables onto skewers as well.
- Brush onions, zucchini, and yellow summer squash rounds with 1/2 cup olive oil and season liberally with salt and pepper.
- Grill vegetables 9-10 minutes each side, until nicely caramelized.
- In a small bowl, whisk garlic, lemon juice, zest, mustard, remaining 3 tablespons oil, and a pinch of salt and pepper together.
- Place cooked vegetables on a platter, drizzle with dressing, and top with chopped basil leaves.
Source: Barely modified from Confections of a Foodie Bride